Refreshing your wardrobe is something that you want to at the start of every season so that you don’t spend half an hour in front of your wardrobe, wondering what to wear. There are lots of tips that are worth considering, so here are some great tips to do a complete wardrobe refresh this season.
This post contains affiliate links. That means, if you click a link and make a purchase I will receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. It’s how we keep things running!
Sell Any Clothes You Don’t Need
Firstly, it’s a good idea to start with a blank canvas, and that’s why it’s worth going through every item of clothing and trying it on. Find what fits and what doesn’t fit anymore. Inspect all the clothing that you try on to see if there are any damages that have been made to the material and whether it’s fixable.
For more on decluttering your closet >>>
- Why We Keep Clothes We Don’t Wear + How to Let Go
- 6 Tips to Get Started Decluttering When You Feel Overwhelmed
Sometimes, you can get things repaired fairly easily just by sewing the material, but there’s some that can be a lost cause. It’s worth finding what you need to throw out and what you want to get rid of but can be sold.
There’s plenty of online sites that will take your clothes for free and give to a local charity, or you might want to sell it to a good home to make some money back from it. This can certainly be a good idea if you’ve got some pricier items of clothing that you want to try and make a return on if possible.
My favorite places to sell my clothing online >>>
- ThreadUP – They send you a “clean out” bag to mail right back to them. ThreadUP lists your items for you and you’re able to control the pricing of the item. They may pass on some items and you can have them either sent back to you OR donated. Use my referral link HERE to get $10 off your first purchase!
- Poshmark – It has an Instagram feel when you scroll through your customized home screen. Taking photos and listing your item is super easy. There are not many required fields to fill in (which can be complicated, thanks, eBay), so the process is quick!
- eBay – I have made the most money from my eBay store. You reach more people because the platform is more well-known than Poshmark, Depop, or ThreadUP. It does take time to fill out each item listing and photos do matter a whole lot more!
Vacuum Bag Any Out Of Season Clothes
Vacuum bags are a great way to help with storage issues. Many households might be lacking in storage, and therefore, it’s good to try and use things like vacuum bags as a way to save on space.
When doing a wardrobe refresh, storing last seasons clothing is essential. Sealing the clothing in vacuum bags is a great way to get them out of sight. They can be re-used time and time again, which is helpful in order to help you save money. Store them underneath your bed, in the attic, or anywhere that has the space available.
Consider Your Body Shape
Our body shapes will dictate what looks good on us. It’s so important to consider body shape when doing a wardrobe refresh. Life happens and our body shape may change over the course of years or even a season!
There are different body shapes out there, and you might not necessarily be just the one shape. You could be a mixture of two that are very close together when it comes to the shape itself. Knowing your shape is going to certainly make your shopping experience more enjoyable. You’re going to have a much better time in finding the right looks for your body if you know what looks good. It’s important to feel comfortable in what you wear, and that means looking for the items of clothing that suit your shape.
If you’re at a loss for what your body shape truly is, there are many resources online! I find this YouTube video particularly helpful.
Shop For What Feels Comfortable
Comfort is very important, and although you want to have an element of style in your clothing, it’s all about making sure you feel good. Feeling comfortable and confident can help you wear the outfit, rather than the outfit wearing you. A wardrobe refresh is about finding that balance between comfortable and confident!
A few things to consider when finding comfortable (but still stylish) clothing:
- Fabrics are an essential thing to consider when it comes to comfort. Some materials are likely to feel better on you than others.
- The fit or tailoring of a garment can make you feel like a million bucks! But it can also end up looking like a train wreck. Keep in mind your body shape and the style that speaks most clearly to you.
- Everyone has a different preference but as long as you’re feeling good in yourself and how the clothing feels, that’s all the matters.
Don’t Forget The Accessories
Accessories are essential items for your outfits. They can really end up giving your looks that extra pop that you might be looking for in your wardrobe refresh.
Things like glasses, whether you wear them for the style or if you need them for your sight can make a difference to your look. They can provide a bit of color and can help enhance other areas of your outfit. You can get eye wear from Eyeglasses.com, and it’s worth having a couple of pairs that you can alternate between.
Other accessories to consider:
- A belt or two will definitely help shape your figure more and add in a waistline to dresses or bottoms that are a little too loose.
- Scarves and hats are good to have for the winter and are great for providing some warmth while looking super stylish in the process.
- Knots can make all the difference in how a garment fits. An oversized tee can become a fitted shirt, a dress can become a long shirt – you get the idea.
- Interesting jewelry can be very subtle or make a huge statement. I prefer to have sterling silver rings, necklaces, and earrings (not worn all at the same time!) to give my basic outfits a boost.
Having a selection of accessories can be great for adding something a little different to your overall look.
Think About Doing A Capsule Wardrobe
Capsule wardrobes have become a lot more popular over the past decade. It’s a great way to save on space but also to save yourself some money. If you’re not one to spend much money on clothing in general then embracing this type of wardrobe is definitely for you.
A capsule wardrobe is where you have a limited number of items, and you alternate these items to create a variety of different looks. You want the clothing to be basic and versatile. It’s always good to have a few pieces that reflect your personality, too!
Capsule wardrobes are something you can use and reuse over, and over again. You can also vacuum pack the out of season capsule wardrobe and then start a new one for the cooler or warmer season. It’s worth giving it a go and seeing how you get on with it.
Recommended Hello Brownlow Capsule Wardrobe Inspiration >>>
- 10 x 30 Capsule Wardrobe Challenge
- 6 Reasons Capsule Wardrobes Work
- My Minimalist Fall Capsule Wardrobe
- My Minimalist Spring and Summer Capsule Wardrobe
Get Inspired By Others + Find Your Style
Being inspired by others can really help when it comes to building a wardrobe you can fall in love with. There’s a lot of inspiration out there. Whether it’s taking inspiration from fashion week, to finding personal inspiration on Instagram and YouTube.
When it comes to following trends, it’s good to try and stay away from them as best as you can, as it can often go quickly out of style. Of course, if it’s something that speaks to you and that you want in your wardrobe, then definitely get it. However, it’s good to find things that you like and to almost create your own trend.
I’ve been following Best Dressed on YouTube for a while now. And while I don’t share her style preferences, I totally appreciate they advice she has for all of us looking to dress better!
Doing a complete wardrobe refresh is definitely something that’s worth doing when and where you’re able. It can be good to chuck out old clothes and to start a season with a new set of clothes or a closet that just reflects you.